top of page

"The Medical Examiner has completed the autopsy on 52-year-old Chris Cornell, the Soundgarden musician who died last night in Detroit,” the office said in a statement this afternoon. “The cause of death has been determined as suicide by hanging. A full autopsy report has not yet been completed. There is no additional information at this time."

Detroit police said they received a 911 call just after midnight from Cornell’s bodyguard, who was conducting a well-being check on the musician at his room in the MGM Grand Detroit. Soundgarden had finished its show at the Fox Theatre at about 23:00 pm.

Whatever demons he was fighting, it is so heartbreaking to see such a sweet, talented being end his own life so soon. Now at least there are more pieces placed and we know it was not intentional. It was an honour to have met him many times throughout the years and it was a pleasure to finally cover one of his bands sets back in 2015. My condolences to his family "θεός χωριστών" and band mates for their very tragic loss.


Remember, there is always someone to talk to, even if you have to pick up your phone and call someone you haven't talked to in years. 

By: Fridae Mattas

Additional contribution: The Associated Press, Detroit News and Kirk Pasich

May 18 2017



 TORONTO -- The music industry was in shock early this morning as reports flooded in that talented Seattle singer, Chris Cornell died last night in Detroit. His death hit the socialverse like a gut punch and everyone Cornell knew was in disbelief by the news of his sudden passing. According to police, the singer left this realm Thursday May 18th 2017. Chris Cornell was only 52 and a well accomplished musician fronting the bands Soundgarden and Audioslave for decades. Cornell was on tour with his band Soundgarden, they had just played their set as scheduled at Fox Theater now known as his final performance, not even an hour later is when his lifeless body was discovered.


Cornell's bodyguard went to go check on him and after forcing open the door because hotel staff would not let him enter the room he found a lifeless Chris on the floor in the bathroom and called 911." His bodyguard Martin Kirsten was asked by Cornell's wife Vicky to check up on the 52 year old musician. Once the coroner arrived on scene, the body was then transported to the medical examiner's office. The official cause of death has been ruled a suicide by hanging. Earlier reports from the police on the scene stated they had found the singer on the floor with a band around his neck. 


Chris Cornell was in good spirits for this performance headlining Big Music Fest 2015 in Kitchener, Ontario Canada (FRIDAE MATTAS / FRIDAETV FILE IMAGES)

A spokesperson for the Cornell family says "They appreciate the love and support from the fans, but have requested privacy during these hard times as they unfold."

 SEATTLE, May 19, 2017  -- Kirk Pasich, an attorney for the Chris Cornell family, said that the family is disturbed at inferences that Chris knowingly and intentionally took his life. "Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise.  Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages.  The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions," he stated. Mr. Pasich noted that some medical literature indicates that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgment.

Vicky Cornell added, "Chris's death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled.  As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband.  He was my best friend.  His world revolved around his family first and of course, his music, second. He flew home for Mother's Day to spend time with our family.  He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children.  When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do.  When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different.  When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him."  Ms. Cornell continued:  "What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details.  I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life."

Ms. Cornell concluded, "The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know.  Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us."




Timeline as stated in Police report obtained by the Detroit News:

  • At 12:15 a.m. Thursday, Vicky Cornell phoned Kirsten and asked him to check on her husband, “to see if he is allright because he did not sound like he is okay,” the report said. Vicky Cornell told the bodyguard her husband sounded “groggy and just kept saying, ‘I am just tired,’ and hung up the phone.”

  • Kirsten walked two doors down to Cornell’s suite 1136, to which he had a key, but found the door latched, the report said. “(Kirsten) called security from hotel phone in hallway ... stating he needs to get into (the) room to check on (the) victim,”.

  • “Security stated they can not let him into the room because he is not registered to that room,” the report said. “At this time (Kirsten) kicked in the door with his feet and ... went to the bedroom door and (the) latch had been engaged on this door also.

  • “(Kirsten) again called for security but could not gain access to (the) room,” the report said. “At this time (Kirsten) kicked in (the) bedroom door and found victim laying on the bathroom floor.”

  • MGM medic Dawn Jones arrived at the room at 12:56 a.m., the report said. “Jones untied the red exercise band from (the) victim’s neck and began CPR on (Cornell, who) was not breathing.”

  • EMS Unit 42 was at the scene by 1 a.m. An emergency medical technician also unsuccessfully performed CPR on Cornell, according to the report.

  • “At 1:30AM on 5/18/2017, victim was pronounced dead (by a doctor who came to the scene),” the report said.

  • Homicide detectives arrived at the room and began their investigation, while another officer phoned Cornell’s wife to break the news he’d been found dead.


This is an active investigation and will be continually updated as information comes through.

bottom of page